GCAC Internship Program
08 Alexis 2015
09 Liz 2015
Gaya CAC Internship Program offers an indelible opportunity for an aspiring potter to learn the ins and outs of running a ceramic studio, teaching ceramic skills, organizing workshops, firing kilns, and generally living a life of clay. The internship is based on an agreement of exchange between the intern and GCAC.
(There is strictly no payment involved in this program.)
Qualifications: an individual with at least a basis of experience in ceramics, interested in pursuing his/her own knowledge in making, firing, and running a public studio. Proficiency in English language is essential.
Desirable possible skills/attributes: teaching experience, photography background, graphic design knowledge, attitude of commitment and exploration, organizational skills, friendly demeanor, willingness to multi-task and work in a team.
Agreement: Intern will commit to offering approximately 15-20 hours per week of assistance in the studio, in exchange for approximately the same number of hours of free studio usage.
Studio Assistance may include:
- Setting up and breaking down lunches during group workshops
- Being on hand for lead instructor of two-week workshop (sourcing tools, materials, organizing work tables, keeping workshop flowing smoothly)
- Accompanying groups on workshop excursions
- Assisting shorter classes (Throwing Thursdays or Privates); or possibly teaching these types of classes
- Helping familiarize Resident Artist with studio, Ubud, life in Bali, and carrying out their residency
- Helping with some publicity aspects of the studio (hanging flyers in Ubud, assisting with Face Book updates and/or drafting newsletters)
- General daily clean up and organization of studio
- Loading and unloading kilns, firing or assisting firing
- Being a general spokesperson for Gaya CAC—in Bali and elsewhere in the world
- Time, space and use of all equipment and materials
- Use of clay and kilns without charge (within respectful limits)
- Opportunity to learn from many ceramic professionals, via workshops, resident artists, etc.
Duration and Visa:
- Approximately 6 months is preferable
- Social Budaya (Cultural visa)—Gaya CAC can facilitate sponsorship, but intern is to pay all visa and renewal fees.
List of the Studio interns
- Meredith Habermann, 2012
- Jiawen Loo, 2012-2013
- Anamica Chauhan, 2013
- Isabel Gatzen, 2013
- Natalie Weinberger, 2014
- Lily Meilani, 2014
- Alexis Stephenson, 2015
- Liz Vidal, 2015